Legal Separation Attorney in Denver, Colorado
How a Denver Family Lawyer Can Help
Are you considering a legal separation as a temporary or long-term alternative to divorce? For some couples that are not ready to confront the drastic changes resulting from a divorce, a legal separation may prove to be the best viable option. Whether you decide to proceed with a legal separation or you and your spouse opt for an official divorce, a Denver family attorney with Jones Law Firm, PC may be able to help you.
Differences Between Legal Separation & Divorce
For some couples, there are certain benefits that a legal separation will afford them. Whether for emotional, religious, or financial reasons, all are valid concerns that can make legal separation a more favorable alternative. There are some key differences to consider when exploring this option. Your attorney can assist you in properly understanding key provisions so you and your spouse can make an informed decision. Some of the more defining traits of legal separation include:
- The possibility of retaining some benefits, which would not be possible through divorce. Some of these benefits can include retirement, social security, and insurance benefits. Also, through legal separation, inheritance rights are preserved under Colorado law.
- While a legal separation is in place, neither spouse can legally remarry.
Similarities Between Legal Separation & Divorce
- In a legal separation, property is divided and you can no longer accumulate property jointly once the legal separation is in place
- All debts and assets accumulated after legal separation are the sole responsibility of the spouse that acquired them
As with a divorce, similar financial decisions must be made, including
child support considerations
- You and your spouse still need to come to an agreement regarding the parenting of your children
Taking the Next Step with Our Denver Family Law Attorney
Looking for a lawyer for your legal separation case in Denver? If legal separation is an option you would like to explore further, our firm can help facilitate the planning process and help you and your spouse reach agreements that are mutually beneficial. Contact our firm to schedule a meeting with one of our family attorneys to discuss your options and goals. Our legal separation attorneys are skilled in all aspects pertaining to the legal separation process and will apply this experience to your case with the respect and legal support you deserve.